Re: Designer/Developer

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 23:32:09 GMT

The idea behind Designer is not just to use it for database design. It's most important use is as a repository for all the information on your database (including change management). You can "reverse engineer" database changes back into the repository. However, if you make the changes in Designer you can forward engineer them into the database. If you do your design work in Designer, then walk away from it by making further changes in Developer, you lose all the benefits of having a central repository of information. On small databases it may not matter. On medium to large databases it does.

But if you really want to do the design in your CASE tool then ignore it afterwards, you don't need Designer. Look at a much simpler, less expensive tool like ERwin.

One other note. Designer uses a lot of resources and is slow. If you're going to be involved with it, throw a big fast piece of hardware its way. And be prepared for some bugs.

Van

Sylvie Picouet <s.picouet_at_free.com> wrote in message news:dLKw4.1039$2f4.6712474_at_nnrp3.proxad.net...
> Hi Eugene,
>
> Thanks for your information.
>
> I just wonder if you can really work with both Designer and Developer
during
> the whole application development.
> Isn't it too cumbersome, to design and write your code (stored procedures)
> with Designer and then generate your application?
> Does it well support iterative operations? And what happens if you perform
> modifications with Developer ? Can you then recapture your modifications
> inside the repository ?
> Actually, don't you just Design your database and application with
Designer,
> generate them, and then modify them and make them evolve with Developer
> (just because it is too cumbersome to carry on managing the whole process:
> Designing and generating with Designer, testing and Debugging with
> developer, and then using again Designer for the modifications, etc.).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sylvie.
>

> Eugene Popov <epopov_at_rdtex.msk.ru> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Designer and Developer are tools of different purpose and weight.
Roughly