[urgent] OAS on Solaris

From: Mohlman, Clayton <clayton_at_more.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 14:28:03 -0600

[urgent] OAS on Solaris

I have two cents and I'm going to spend them.

Any version of OAS is going to be more stable on a UNIX platform than on Microsoft.
I am currently running 3 instances of OAS 4.0.8.1 lets call them
Instance one = OAS production
Instance two = OAS development
Instance three = OAS crash&burn (currently used for security testing)

I also have 3 instances of ORACLE 8.1.5 lets call them
Production Database
Development Database
And
Crash&Burn database (currently used for OAS security testing)

Let me state right now that not everything comes up roses with this environment but its better than windows.

The Crash&Burn database as well as the OAS production and OAS development instances are all running on the same Solaris 2.6 server.

The Production Database is running on its own Solaris 2.7 server and the Development Database is running on a separate Solaris 2.7 server.

The OAS crash&burn instance is also running on its own Solaris 2.7 server for the time being.  All the OAS can connect to all the Databases with out noticeable problems.

The instances of the OAS running on Solaris 2.6 I have not had a single problem with the OAS functions as expected I'm able to take the instances down cleanly make modifications and restart each instance with out any hassles.  I wish I could say the same about the instance of the OAS running on Solaris 2.7.  HTTP request for pl/sql cartridges can kill the pid of some processes once that happens then the OAS is no longer able to shut down cleanly and I have to manually go in and kill -9 all the ORAWEB process and restart the node manager.  Also while I was testing security using an ORACLE_BASIC realm I found that by entering an invalid user in the realm login that any web browser pops up will kill the WRKS, OASSRV , AND OTSFACSRV processes and intern makes the rest of the OAS unstable.

Clayton Mohlman
University of Missouri System
MOREnet