Re: Designer/Developer

From: Paul Dorsey <pdorsey_at_dulcian.com>
Date: 2000/03/03

There are 2 schools of thought on app development. One group will design in Designer and the generate the applications. Usually, the applications require some post generation manipulation. The other school builds within Developer frmo start to finish. Both schools have their proponents.

To be a skilled generation shop requires skill with both Designer and Developer.
Both approaches require the help of someone experienced to get you started. If you just open the box, go to a couple of weeks of training and then try to do a major project, you have about a 2% chance of success. The correct way to handle either approach has been evolved over years. Get the help of somone who has been there.

We have a paper on our web site http://www.dulcian.com/optimal.htm that goes into some depth on the topic.
I would also point you at the books that Peter and I have written on Designer and Developer.
Both books try to answer your question.

--
Paul Dorsey
Dulcian, Inc.