Re: BMC tools

From: Geoffrey Bray <gbray1_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 20:44:40 GMT

Depends on what you want. If you want an availability tool then Patrol is it. If you want performance/tuning you'd probably be better off with Precise SQL or something like it. If you do go with Patrol you'd better be very careful and make sure the person setting it up know what s/he is doing. Often out of the box everything is turned on and it runs a bunch of jobs every 10 seconds and will suck up resources on a box like you wouldn't believe. I would also REQUIRE that BMC let you try it for several months before you buy it. Lots of people around using Patrol for shelfware. Patrol, etc. hits the v$ tables and so it impacts db performance vs. Precise which monitors the SGA via UNIX.

Geoffrey Bray
Tandy Corp.

In article <01bf8523$e127e160$5f58dea1_at_cbcgren028820>,   "Scott Harden" <hardens_at_schneider.com> wrote:
> Is anyone out there using BMC's tools against Oracle. Our UNIX admins
are
> looking at Patrol and they want to make it a package deal with
Oracle's
> Knowledge Module, RE-ORG, etc.
>
> I would appreciate feedback on all first hand experience with BMC, and
if
> you have other tools you would recommend instead of BMC's.
>
> You can mail replies to hardens_at_schneider.com as well.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Scott Harden

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Mar 03 2000 - 21:44:40 CET

Original text of this message