Re: CHECKPOINTS

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: 2000/03/02

Note that the CKPT process does not perform the bulk of the I/O associated with a checkpoint. That is all handled by the database writer(s). The CKPT process just takes to job of marking the ckeckpoint SCN in datafile headers away from the log writer. Although it doesn't usually take a long time to update file headers, it is a good idea not to make the log writer interrupt its job of flushing the log buffer for anything. When the log writer stops doing that, people trying to commit have to wait.

--
Jeremiah