Re: 5 stupid (?) questions regarding OAS 4081

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: 2000/03/01

I have had success starting new listeners on NT provided the OAS was shutdown prior to creating these listeners. Otherwise, the listeners could not even be created, that is, no service was created for them.

The above requirement, to stop the OAS processes prior to creating listeners, does not appear to be documented as far as I can see. (At least it is not in the Administration Guide, admin.pdf, chapter 3, which describes the process of adding a listener in detail.)

However, the documentation (Installation Guide, inst_nt.pdf) does imply that you should be able to run both an 8.1.5 database and OAS 4.0.8.1 on the same machine provided they are in separate oracle homes. And I have been able to do this in test environments. However, it probably makes sense to put them on separate machines in a production environment. As I understand it, if they are placed in the same home, the executables from the second installation that go into the bin directory will overwrite the ones already there. Since they are not compatible, you will get problems when running the product you installed first.

Frank Hubeny