Re: Oracle Form calls procedure to run in the database server

From: Pascal Glauser <glauser_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:31:31 GMT

David

On my opinion, the stored procedure (SP) must run in another session than the form to keep you form alive. So you have to start the SP in another session (lets say B). One comfortable way I know for doing this is having a job in the job-queue (see sys.dbms_job-package) that frequently looks for something to do. You can signal the session B with means of dbms_pipe or by writing something into a table. Notice however, that the number of sessions spawned at any one time has to be configured in the init.ora (don't remember the exact parameter name).

HTH
Pascal Glauser

In article <896fap$o9$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   david_petit_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> I am using Forms 5.0. I want to create a button such that when the
> user press this button, the Form will send a request to the database
> server and a PL/SQL procedure will be run in the database server.
> However, the procedure may take a long time to run. What function
should
> I use such that after the user press this button, the Forms still
> continue to work (i.e. no need to wait the procedure to finish)?
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Feb 25 2000 - 21:31:31 CET

Original text of this message