Re: SQL*Loader / flat files

From: K Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:35:42 -0500

Pierre Labrecque wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am new in the world of Oracle and I have an easy question for you.
>
> I have two workstations that will access an Oracle database located on a
> server through Oracle Discoverer 3.1. Users will have to populate the
> database with ASCII flat files.
>
> These flat files are easy to upload into the database, using SQL*Loader,
> when the user is logged on the server. However, we would like the user to be
> able to populate the database from a workstation.
>
> Is there way to call the SQL*Loader from the workstation?
> If we install Oracle Personal edition on the workstation (assuming that this
> version comes with SQL*Loader) can we populate the database located on the
> server for the workstation?

If you want to run sqlloader from the workstation you would have to get a version that runs under windows and then when you provide the username/password to sqlloader you would append the database alias that appears in tnsnames.ora for the instance that you will be loading. Should be pretty seamless.

Alternatively, you could use several different tools which would allow you to run sqlloader on a Unix server using a remote-shell capabability from a work station. In this case what you could do is mount the pc drive as a file system on the unix box and process the files that physically sit on the pc.

Another possibility is to roll your own loader with VB or VC++ using ADO and OLEDB or ODBC. It won't be as fast as sqlloader, but it will be pure client-server.

Still another possability would be to have some type of periodic cron job which will check for the presence of a file to load from the Unix server. When the file appears the job would automatically load sqlloader to process the file. Received on Fri Feb 25 2000 - 20:35:42 CET

Original text of this message