Re: [urgent] OAS on Solaris

From: Rudi Demeulenaere <yupie_at_iname.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 19:08:37 GMT

Girts Graudins wrote:

> We are considering porting our OAS application from NT to Solaris.
> Before we commit to this decision we need some questions answered.
>
> Current Setup
> =============
> Our OAS application is using PL/SQL cartridge. We have two OAS 4.0.8.1
> servers on NT 4.0, SP 5 that talk to a Oracle 8.0.5.1 database running
> on NT 4.0, SP 5. We're considering putting the OAS on Solaris boxes in
> hopes of better stability.
>
> Questions
> =========
> [o] Has anybody done anything like this?

I do this on Solaris 2.6 for Intel.
Dunno if OAS on NT is more/less stable. Little experience I have with Or 7 on NT (the database itself, not the OAS) didn't push me into using NT alltogether.
I was at a course where they used OAS4 on NT without problems.

> [o] How stable is the OAS on Solaris?

We have ~40 named users on 1 machine with the DB & the AS. The listener "falls out" without notice once every x weeks. Had same experience with OWS v1 (good ol'days) on Solaris Sparc machine. Strange. Actual version I use now is 4.0.7.0 (on 8.0.5.0). Wrote small script to trap this. Other bugs we encounter (e.g. no_data_found expection not thrown but returns garbage html towards user for pl/sql cartridge) seem to be OS-independent.

> [o] Which version of Solaris should we use?

I was afraid of using 2.7 since it's on Intel and Oracle site was ambiguous on releases for 2.7 x86. So I use 2.6.

> [o] Can OAS running on Solaris talk to a database running on NT, or do
> they have to be on the same OS?

It should. Never tried though.

success,

</rudi> Received on Fri Feb 25 2000 - 20:08:37 CET

Original text of this message