Re: File size difference between table in database and exported file

From: Brian W. Chester <bwchester_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 18:39:28 GMT

Jerome,

Taken from the Oracle 8 Server Utilities Guide:

"COMPRESS Default: Y

"Specifies how export and import manage the intial extent for table data.

"The default, COMPRESS=Y, causes Export to flag table data for consolidation into one initial extent upon import. If extent sizes are large (for example, because of the PCTINCREASE parameter), the allocated space will be larger than the space required to hold the data when you specify COMPRESS=Y.

"If you specify COMPRESS=N, Export uses the current storage parameters, including the values of initial extent size and next extent size. The values of the parameters may be the values specified in the CREATE TABLE or ALTER TABLE statements or the values modified by the database system. For example, the NEXT extent size value may be modified if the table grows and if the PCTINCREASE parameter is nonzero."

So what I think you are seeing is the fact that your PCTINCREASE parameter must be set quite large and therefore you are seeing the increased size in your export file.

HTH Brian.

PS. Crossposts have been removed. Please post only to one or the other not all!

"Jerome Moinet" <jmoinet_at_netcourrier.com> wrote in message news:895hig$e2r$1_at_ssauraab-i-1.production.compuserve.com...
> Could there be a reason for the big diference between a table size in
> database and the size of the exported file ?
>
> table size : 1.8 Gb (select bytes from dba_segment where segment_name =
T1)