Re: Anyone have any feedback regarding Oracle Web Application Server for use in

From: Bill Coulam <bcoulam_at_DELETECAPSusa.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 23:13:16 -0700

"Pascal Glauser" <glauser_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:891h1l$d2c$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
>> in April '99 and finally released in October). If you've got the
> > talent,
> > develop your dynamic site with Java servlets.
>
> That's what I feel, too. But I am lacking a little bit the _hard_
> arguments. What makes you so sure (there are only few web-sites with
> servelts at the moment, I think)?

Well, I (and some teammates) developed a 20,000 line PL/SQL framework that I used on both projects (again due to the PL/SQL talent and lack of Perl, Java talent). This was very modular and nice for wrapping company standards. Everything was laid out neat as a pin for the developers. But even with all the work that went into it in order to cut down development, it still took hours to create simple web windows with fields, textareas, buttons with JavaScript behind them, and the presentation/business/data-layer PL/SQL procedures behind each to handle the user's actions. Compared to what I've seen recently (Cold-Fusion, Tango, Forte, PHP, JSP, servlets, etc.) it is archaic and very difficult to use. I watched a complex HTML window with a tabbed interface, tons of fields, drop-downs, JavaScript, plus all the back end code for adding next, previous, start, end, find, update, and other features for some database records the window was tied to -- created in no less than 5 minutes. I was stunned. It was a visual servlet programming IDE in SilverStream 3.0. We own JDeveloper 3.0 and it has servlet wizards as well. Just this week I decided to let go of my pride and joy (my PL/SQL web framework). I'm tossing "my baby" out. If had the time to develop my own PL/SQL-web IDE which wrapped this framework, I'd do it. But I don't so I'm converting to something else. As far as hard arguments or evidence for servlets, email Jason Hunter. I think his address can be found at www.servlets.com/org?. Obviously he's a proponent of the technology, but he could give you examples and the hard arguments. Seems some shops have even "graduated" beyond servlets to JSP, XML and XLMC (plus many other variants of elegant template-like development environments).

> > But for some odd reason they can't
> > figure out how to have an OAS instance receiving requests from any
> > webserver other than one installed on the same box as OAS! Our company
> > standard webserver is IIS. So when I migrated OAS from NT to Solaris
> > recently, I shot myself in the foot since now I am _forced_ to use the
> > built-in Spyglass webserver that comes with OAS on Solaris.
>
> Is spyglass unusable (for certain taskt, perhaps) ?

No, spyglass has been fine. We must implement SSL on it soon, so I'll get back to you if that works. But in one of my previous projects, the client's enterprise architecture dictated that Netscape Enterprise be used. In my current environment, the IT admins want to stay with IIS and are even toying with IIS 5. So to tell them that I have to introduce a new webserver in the mix is not pleasing to their ears.

  • bill