Re: Interrupting SQL*Plus queries on NT.

From: Bill Coulam <bcoulam_at_DELETECAPSusa.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 22:55:16 -0700

Ctrl+C and File|Cancel do not work, only for queries which have already finished and are spending lots of time spooling the results to the screen. But when a query is still chugging through an access path, the SQL*Plus 8 and 8i client windows just freeze. You can't do anything until the query is done. In this case we have to go to some other desktop and kill the session from an account that has the DBA privilege. I've trained my team to run, read and understand explain plans finally, so the need to do this emergency cancellation has lessened.

Oracle supports tells me it has something to do with Net8 not being non-blocking or something like that. They have no idea when they'll fix it. This means we highly value our old 7.3.2 client disk 'cause it's the only copy of SQL*Plus 3.3 we have left. On the other hand, 3rd party tools seem to have a found a way around the problem (unless they are using the old SQL*Net protocol). I am able to cancel queries in both our SQL-Station and TOAD tools.