Re: Oracle drivers and client tools

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:28:37 GMT

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:30:24 -0500, "Michael A. Angelo" <mangelo123_at_email.msn.com> wrote:

>I have received the Oracle 8i version for Linux. I plan on setting up a
>Linux box to install Oracle 8i.

While this has nothing to do with your question, I recently installed 8i on Linux, and I ran into only one thing that caused me grief. My first attempt was using Caldera's 2.3 distribution. The Oracle8i install assumes that a utility named gmake is present. Caldera 2.3 does not include gmake. Red Hat does, so when all was said and done, I ended up using Red Hat's distro. It took me about half a day to install it on Caldera, discover that it wouldn't work, and then why it wouldn't work, and then correct the problem. Other than that one glitch, the install was "by the book".

>What I cannot seem to find anywhere are the Windows client pieces (drivers,
>tools such as SQL Plus, Net Config, etc).
>
>Can anyone tell me where I can get these?

I get them from my Oracle8i for Win NT cd. I believe you can download that from Oracle's Technet site (technet.oracle.com).

regards,

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Tue Feb 22 2000 - 17:28:37 CET

Original text of this message