Re: 5 stupid (?) questions regarding OAS 4081

From: Don Miller <donaldmiller_at_prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:51:54 -0500

[Quoted] Hello Martin,

I do not have all of the answers, but I can contribute some. Also, I will stay tuned to this newsgroup to find the other answers, as they would help me. I am installing 8.1.5 with 4.0.8.1 with no luck as well. I have started from scratch by reinstalling the 8.1.5 database and then installing OAS 4.0.8.1. I have it to the point of running, but the listeners will not start. Anyway here are the answers I have for you:

2. OAS 4.0.8.1 uses a non-Y2K compliant installer, but when support tells you it has anything to do with your problem it is there way of getting you off the phone. Don't believe them and tell them you have tried the Y2k compliant installer and you have the same error. I am not sure of the technicalities of the non-y2k compliance, but they exist.

3. OAS 4.0.8.1 is a new release and can be installed alone without 4.0.7 or previous versions. As a matter of fact, it will be to your benefit if you do install without a previous version. Why it is half the size, I do not know?

4. OAS is equivalent to Microsoft's IIS; whereas, it listen for web calls and run HTML pages on the fly. OAS interfaces with the Oracle database easily and you are able to create dynamic html pages from within the database by using PL/SQL procedures.

5. WEBDB has the listening piece ( along with some other pieces ) of the OAS built in, but it can not handle massive hits. WEBDB is a smaller scale listner than OAS. In other words, you would be wise to install OAS and then install the WEBDB as a cartridge. WEBDB is actually a user-friendly tool to utilize for non-technical persons to supplement the PL/SQL procedures I previously talked about.

I hope this answered some of your questions, and I am going through the same process as you. So feel free to email me and maybe we can put our heads together to resolve our situations.

Don Miller
dmiller_at_nsf.org

Martin Vonk <mwvonk_at_wxs.nl> wrote in message news:88scr5$1gdrn$1_at_reader4.wxs.nl...
> Hello Folks,
>
> It might be a surprise to you all :-), but I'm a bit frustrated about
Oracle