Re: Oracle 8.0.5 Installation Problem on NT

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:14:01 +0200

Misha wrote in message <38ADD6EF.A62E9B87_at_brodia.com>...

>Hard drive of my NT machine has 2 partitions
>
>C: 2GB contains system files and some other stuff (approx. 140 MB are free)
>E: 6GB this is the drive I'm trying to install to (4GB are free)
>
>What I suspect might be a problem is that Oracle Installer somehow refers
>C: drive and trying to put something there and my C:drive doesn't have much
>free space.
>This is just a guess and I might be wrong.

Change your TEMP directory from C: to D: and see if that works. Could be that Oracle is complaining about insufficient temp space being available. The TEMP environmental variable specifies the path/folder of the temp directory, e.g. TEMP=C:\WinNT\Temp of whatever.

Many installation software needs to uncompress some stuff first. This goes into the TEMP dir. So if there's not enough space in the TEMP dir then it's a problem.

[ob ms slam]
On a similar note - Microsoft's Internet Explorer does something similar. All downloads go into the IE cache first. The cache usually resides in your \WINDOWS or \WINNT system directories. So when you grab a large download and tell IE to save it to drive D: it does not do that. It downloads that into your IE cache on drive C: and only after the download has completed, moves the download across to drive D:. Of course this is TOTALLY IDIOTIC as most times when we say, "hey use drive D: numnuts!" it is because drive C: is getting close to full. And having a 4 hour download bomb out because of Microsoft's stupidity... Arrgghh... Received on Mon Feb 21 2000 - 12:14:01 CET

Original text of this message