Re: Oracle processes size

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 18:03:36 +0800

Alla Gribov wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> I am experiencing a problem that I've never seen before, but, on the
> other hand, I've never run Oracle on Linux before.
>
> I have Oracle 8.0.5 on RedHat 6.1 and when I look at the sizes of my
> processes, they are just huge.
>
> For example, I am running a lot of tests, that resulting in a lot of
> inserts. Right after I start Oracle, ora_dbw0_<SID>
> process grabs about 4M of memory and starts growing. After I insert
> about 50,000 records, the size of ora_dbw0_<SID> is
> 103M. Is this normal???
>
> When I open up a SQL Net connection, it might start from 4M. Then I do
> simple "select count(*) from table" (about 200,000 rows
> in this table) and oracle<SID> (LOCAL_NO) process is anywhere between 15
> and 25M.
>
> Is this a known problem for Oracle on Linux, or is it a known problem of
> Oracle 8?
>
> One more thing - I am using DBMS_PIPE intensively (might this cause any
> problems?)
>
> I have a feeling that I am missing something very simple in my
> configuration. Can anybody help, please!!!!!!
>
> The parameters that I am using for this instance are as follows:
>
> db_file_multiblock_read_count = 22;
> db_block_buffers = 51200 -- db_block_size = 2K
> shared_pool_size = 104857600 -- 100M
> sort_area_size = 1048576 -- 1M
> sort_area_retained_size = 1048576 -- 1M
> log_checkpoint_interval = 999999
> processes = 200
> log_buffer = 1048576 -- 1M
> open_cursors = 500
> optimizer_mode = choose
>
> Also, please let me know, if some of these parameters seem strange to
> you. I've always been an Oracle developer, but
> now I am a DBA too.
>
> Thanks a lot for you help

Remember that many implementations of 'ps', 'top' and the like will include shared memory for each process that is using it.

Thus if your SGA is say 80M, then each process may be reporting back 81M as the amount of memory in use...

HTH

Connor McDonald
connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

There are 3,434,679 oracle websites around the world.
Now there is one more... http://www.oracledba.co.uk