Re: Access to Oracle8 - Question

From: Christian Roig <cr_at_post.dk>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 16:25:46 GMT

Hi !

Sorry for the intrusion...

>On http://technet.oracle.com, you can find a migration kit which will assist
>you. I have looked at it but not personally used it so I can not attest to
>it's ease of use.

I plan to use it, if it helps me get from Access to Oracle with less pain than if I did it manually.

> When I have been involved in access migrations, I created
>my tables and constraints in Oracle then used ODBC to move the data over.
>Once the data was moved over I then created the indexes and modified the
>application code to point to the ODBC connection instead of the local
>database.

When you did this, did you do it because were having problems with the application running under access, and if so what kind of problems ?

The reason I'm asking is - Cut-out from a posting I did earlier - ;

I have been told that when an Access database/application reaches either (or both) a certain size and/or complexity, it begins to be very unstable.

I'm thinking about keeping the 'Application'-part in Access, but move the 'Data'-part to Oracle.

What I'm hoping to achieve, is that the application as a whole will be more stable.

  • End of Cut-out -

Were any of my reasons for wanting to move from Access to Oracle the same reasons you (or your clients) had, and was it enough to move the 'Data'-part to Oracle or should you also move the 'Application'-part ?

Kind regards,

Christian Received on Tue Feb 08 2000 - 17:25:46 CET

Original text of this message