Re: using oracle as document management system

From: <moerkd_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/02/01

In article <3896AF5E.14494920_at_psi.ch>,   Nicolas Stern <nicolas.stern_at_psi.ch> wrote:
> Hi
>
> would anyone have hints on how to use an Oracle RDBMS as a web-based
> document management system with full text retrieval capability. We are
> here looking for very general statements on what tools could be
> adequate.
>
> We have experience on building web-based applications with form server
> and with OAS and PL/SQL -cartridge. Our idea would be to store the
> documents (e.g. *.pdf, *.doc) in the database in a long raw column. In
> this configuration, how could full-text search be provided. How do we
> build the indexes be build ?
>
> Could anyone state if this is a correct approach, or do we have better
> turn out to a third - party document management system ? Does anyone
> have suggestion for a product ?
>
> Any input is welcome - many thanks

Hello Nicolas,

in Oracle 8i there is the Oracle Intermedia Cartridge (in older Versions Oracle Context Option). This Cartrige should have the possibility to Index external Documents in different formats. I didn't use it up to now, but the Documentation tells it. We work with Oracle 7.3.4 and context option, but we only have ascii Text. The Web Interface ia an PLSQL Application with Oracle Web App Server.

HTH Detlev

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Feb 01 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message