Re: Trouble installing JDBC driver for Java 1.2 in Solaris

From: <shazam5_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 22:37:12 GMT

I asked about the problem in the technet.oracle.com forum for JDBC and I assume this person who responded works at Oracle. At any rate, they wrote:

"Sadly, like the name implies, the OCI driver will require an OCI layer (i.e. and Oracle client install) of the same version it was built against (8.1.6 OCI). If you HAVE an Oracle 8.1.6 client install and are still seeing the problem, it is probably an environment issue (such as LD_LIBRARY_PATH or whatever the appropriate Unix setting is) such that the OCI driver can't find the 8.1.6 libraries."

In other words, they wrote and tested the new driver against Oracle 8.1.6, which they have not released yet. My guess is they put the drivers up for us to make sure we can still compile and also for their Beta testers, so they can try the driver. I replied, basically saying that (and that I wish they'd make that crystal clear) on Friday and no one has said that this interpretation of the story is wrong.

In article <2af6107e.0f5be53a_at_usw-ex0104-087.remarq.com>,   kobold <rbedardNOrbSPAM_at_recruitsoft.com.invalid> wrote:
> We have the same problem , and we dont find any info on
> libwtc8.so, we too are using oracle 8.1.5 and JDBC driver 8.1.6
>
> Its probably that there is a new Library in 8.1.6 Net8
> Just look at the name: libocijdbc8.so and libwtc8.so
> the two are statring with lib and terminating with 8.so, so its
> an Oracle Library. But where it is if not in 8.1.6. We all use
> the same version!
>
> If someone find something, i want to know!!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Richard
>
> In article <86vamm$ap5$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, lazymoo_at_my-deja.com
> wrote:
> >Yes and we have the same problem too, with
> >Solaris, Oracle7.3 and a really simple program.
> >The hint with LD_DEBUG="libs" helped us tofind the
> >following error message:
> >
> > relocation error:
> >file /opt/jdk122/lib/liboci73jdbc.so: symbol
> >makeJavaString: referenced symbol not found
> >
> >So the problem is not to find the library, but to
> >find a symbol within this library. My theory is,
> >that the jdk1.2.2 calls another function in the
> >Oracle shared library than jdk1.1 would do.
> >The only solutions I can imagine is to go back to
> >jdk 1.1.x or to use a generic driver which is not
> >from Oracle.
> >Any other suggestions or solutions?
> >
> >Cheers, Daniel
> >

> >In article <86lcmg$6qe$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > shazam5_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> >> We are having the same problem. I wrote a simple
> >> Java program (not a servlet) so that the server
> >> wouldn't be involved. It compiles but I get the
> >> same error he does (see below) when I run it.
> >> I found an old post in the oracle site that
> >> suggested setting LD_DEBUG="libs" and this
> >> revealed that libclntsh.so.8.0 could not be
> >found.
> >> I found it and added it to my CLASSPATH and
> >> LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Then it couldn't find
> >libwtc8.so.
> >> I cannot find this library (or anything spelled
> >> similarly) on the system. Unfortunately, I
> >cannot
> >> find this library mentioned on the Web (google,
> >> deja, and oracle's site), either.
> >>
> >> I am not familiar with Solaris and the sys admin
> >> is not either, and is out of the office this
> >week.
> >> I have noticed that we have 8.1.5, while the
> >JDBC
> >> Drivers are for 8.1.6 (the readme says, these
> >are
> >> "Client-side JDBC for use on a machine where
> >> OCI 8.1.6 is installed.")
> >>
> >> I am wondering if the version difference is what
> >> is wrong, or if there is anything else I'm
> >missing,
> >> or if there is another debug tool of some sort.
> >> Like David, any help will be greatly
> >appreciated.
> >>
> >> Suzanne

> >> 8.1.6 drivers for

> >> under $ORACLE_HOME
> >> anyone else.) Here
> >> into $OH/java/lib

> [...]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Feb 01 2000 - 23:37:12 CET

Original text of this message