Installing just the Oracle client libraries on Linux

From: Cari D. Burstein <news3_at_anybrowser.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 23:53:55 -0800

I'm trying to figure out a way to just get the Oracle client libraries installed on Linux without installing the whole darn thing. We have another server at work running Oracle 8i and I need to be able to connect to it using Perl DBI and PHP, but in order to add support for Oracle it says I need the client libraries. I've been looking at the install instructions for Oracle, but they're very complex and don't seem to even consider the possibility that someone might only want the client end of things. When I called Oracle for help, the guy claimed there was an option to do it, but I didn't see it, and he didn't seem to be too clued on the matter- I think he was just trying to get rid of me.

I figure this has to be a very common need so I was hoping someone already had done it and could tell me how to go about it. I'm really not familiar with Oracle and we don't have anyone at work who knows it well, so I'm kind of stuck here.

Please help! Thanks!

--

|Ye have enemies? Good, good- that means ye've stood up for |
| something, sometime in thy life.... -Elminster of Shadowdale |