Re: Should I place the WEBDB in front or behind of the firewall?

From: Leo Van Nieuwenhuyse <leo.van.nieuwenhuyse_at_pandora.be>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 19:55:27 +0100

Behind gives more security: since the server wich is running the webdblistener uses sqlnet or net8 towards your database, any user that can take possesion of the webdblisterner-server, can connect via this machine to your database.
So if you place that server behind your firewall and only open the webdblistener-port for the ipadress of the server, you'll have less chance to have unwanted visitors on your database. Even more: if your database containing the table-data is on the same server you MUST place it behind the firewall, users having a sqlnet or net8 client can acces your database directly in that case.

And an even better solution is to use ssl. (Therefore you need webdb 2.2 + oracle application server 4.0.8).

sheeta <sheeta_laputa_at_yahoo.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 3869c89a_at_news02.imsbiz.com...