Re: Oracle Wizards

From: RC <rclarence_at_tyc.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:30:24 GMT

sboucher wrote:

> I am making the transition from SQL Server7.0 to Oracle 8i. Does oracle
> have built-in utilities to export data from a table into a flat ascii
> file. What about importing from other applications such as SQL Server
> and MS Access.
>
> We have Oracle server 8.1.5, Oracle Enterprise MAnager, Developer,
> Designer, an WebDB
>
> Thanks
> Scott
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

To export data into a flat file Oracle doesn't have any utilities but ir does supply the DBMS_UTILITY.TABLE_TO_COMMA built in in PL/SQL. You can write a small PL/SQL proc that calls this function and write out a file using the UTL_FILE.PUT proc to write an OS file.

As far as getting data from another DB have your database create an ASCII delimited file and you can load the data with SQL Loader (SQLLDR) which is a very good and FAST Oracle utility.

HTH RC