Re: char vs varchar2

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 1999/12/23

In article <83re7n$70d$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   amehta2000_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi!
>
> How does Oracle handle Double-Byte Character
> Sets? For multilingual support, specifically for
> Double Byte Character Sets, can I still use CHAR
> to store a single character. The default size of
> CHAR is 1 byte..will this allow me to store
> special characters (such as Chinese letters) that
> require double-byte character sets?
>
> In article <83leur$v0f$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> markp7832_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > In article <83lcn9$tba$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > karsten_schmidt8891_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > char is a fixed-length datatype.
> > > if you have rows that need less than the max
 size you defined in the
> > > database, they will be right-padded with
 blanks.
> > > Varchar2 is a true varying lenght type - no
 padding.

> > > char is rarely used - in general you should
 use varchar2.

> > > Karsten

 Char/varchar2?
 creation?

> > I agree use varchar2. Look at Oracle's
 dictionary and Oracle
> > products. They use varchar2 even for one byte
 columns.

> > --
> > Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts
 is the advice that
> > you follow so follow your own advice --

I am not sure about double byte character sets, but I believe that the datatypes char and varchar2 both still work as normal, but that you have to account for the number of bytes instead of characters, that is, a five character long char or varchar datatype would be declared as 10 bytes to hold the data.

The documentation for this should be in the Concepts manual chapter on datatypes and in the Application Developers Guide. Oracle provides special datatypes NCHAR and NVARCHAR2 for working with multi-byte character sets.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.