Re: Installing Oracle 8 Personal edition-- ORA-205 error

From: fumi <fumi_at_tpts5.seed.net.tw>
Date: 20 Dec 1999 15:23:39 GMT

SJ <sajijohn_at_netcom.ca> wrote in message news:JEP64.198939$5r2.502786_at_tor-nn1.netcom.ca...
> I installed a trial version of Oracle 8 Personal editon and was able to
> connect to the database. But soon after I installed Developer 6.0, I am
> unable to access Oracle. But while connecting to the database, I get ORA-205
> error "Cannot mount database". Developer is running ok.
> I tried to install/uninstall Oracle several times unsucessfully.
> Pl. suggest what I should do.
>
> I am running Win 98 on my m/c, and the default oracle home is Orawin95. I
> also tried to install Oracle 8i later on, but was unable to do so as there
> is a default Oracle home already.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.

I had this problem when I wanted to begin studying Developer. After trying 2+ hours, I had to do a "clean" install(remove all products, and install a brandnew one).

  1. Install Oracle Personal 8.0.4.
  2. Install OEM 1.6 (in Oracle 8.0.5EE disk) and some other products. Since I want to use SQL Worksheet and deal with Chinese characters. You can eliminate this step.
  3. Install Developer 6.0.
  4. Remove the products Oracle Net8 ***.
  5. Insert Oracle Personal 8.0.4 CD. Install Oracle Net8 ***.

I installed all products in the same home dictionary. If you only use bequeath protocal, you can eliminate listener config. Received on Mon Dec 20 1999 - 16:23:39 CET

Original text of this message