Unique sequence generator with reclaim

From: Rami Zaatari <rzaatari_at_americasm01.nt.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 18:35:34 -0500

Hello,

[Quoted] [Quoted] I have this issue that I believe somebdy else might have dealt with. Please take a look

We need to have a unique ID sequence number generator for a certain table, but the one Oracle provides (SEQNAME.NEXTVAL) will not work well for us, for the following reasons:

    [Quoted]
  1. we need to be able to reclaim back lost sequence numbers/ ids (in case records with ids were deleted)
  2. we need to let the user skips and enters a unique sequence number/id, [Quoted] and the sequence generator should take care of it in case it reached [Quoted] that id later.

I appreciate any hints/lead/thoughts about that. Does Oracle provide a more intelligent sequence.

Thank you for your attention,

Rami

Rami M. Zaatari                 N O R T E L   N E T W O R K S
rzaatari_at_nortelnetworks.com     Carrier Packet Solutions

[Quoted] (919) 905-3534/ESN 355-3534 NCRTP, Dept. B932
(919) 991-4088 (Fax) RTP, NC 27709