Re: Urgent. Max Datafiles exceed. Please Help.

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:01:57 GMT

[Quoted] In article <83ap90$se5$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   alan_psb_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> I want to add tablespace (Oracle 7.3.3, Solaris 2.5). However, I got
the
> following error:
>
> ORA-01118: cannot add any more datafiles, limit of 30 exceed.
>
> Then I change the db_files from 30 to 100 in initORACLE.sql. However,
> after shutdown and restart the database, I still got the above message
> when I add tablespace. But the db_files has changed to 100 when I show
> parameter in SVRMGR. I then ask my friend and he told me that I need
> recreate the control files. However, he don't know how to do that.
Could
> anyone tells me how can I recreate the control file such that I can
add
> more datafile to Oracle? Could anyone shows the steps of doing this?
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

The procedure to recreate the control file is in the DBA Administration manual. You will want to read it and follow it rather than a post. In the ver 8 manual it is ch 6 topic New Control Files. There is a 9 item list to follow. Also look in the SQL manual at the 'create controlfile command' and the alter database backup control to trace command'. You will want to make a copy of your control file using the trace option so you do not have to type everything by hand when creating your create controlfile script.

Good luck.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.