Re: Oracle WebDB

From: Oracle Enterprise Internet Tools Product Management <no_replies_at_uk.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 09:13:00 -0000

No.

OAS 4.0.8 is the latest version of OWS 3 which was an improvement upon WebServer 2

WebDB is a brand new product originally released as 2.0, with 2.1 an improvement and 2.2 as the latest production version.

WebDB will come soon and will form the basis for Oracle's Portal offering

OAS is a full featured heavyweight Application server in the same vein as Netscape Enterprise Server

WebDB is a browser based application and web-site development tool. Which allows you to develop web sites wholly hosted in the database and applications/components that can be used to access/work with your data - these too are stored in the database.

Oracle Developer - which was the original product asked for in comparison (not Designer) - is best suited to heavyweight, mission critical, rich functional gui applications aimed at things like OLTP.

In it's current version (6.0) Developer is not slow when deployed on a three tier basis, however, it is more sensitive to high latency and reduced bandwidth situations.

--
Regards

Jason

__

  Jason Pepper - Enterprise Internet Tools Product Management
__

[Quoted] Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com> wrote in message

> I thought they were essentially newer versions of the product. Isn't
Oracle