Mailing Lists and Other info sources

From: Edward W. Rouse <erouse_at_vei.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:21:45 -0500

I am a web developer and am new to Oracle. I was very impressed with a demo of WebDB and want to set up a demo site for my company to convince them that this would be a 'good thing'.

The problem is that I am not an Oracle person. I have managed, with much tearing out of the hair, to get 8i installed and running on Solaris. I have two major problems and the Oracle web site is particularly unhelpful.

  1. TNSnames - I don't understand how to make TNSnames work. I continually get 'TNSnames could not resolve' type errors. Is there a good resource on TNSnames?
  2. WebDB - I installed WebDB into my default database and could not connect (see above). I finally got to the database (site?) using the server:port:database connect string, but it gives me login errors. I know that the username and password I am using are correct, I can use them to log in with OEM and SQL*Plus. The caps lock is off and I have tried repeatedly, with the pair entered in the gateway setup and manually (with the gateway setup page having blanks). What is the problem? Are there any good books on WebDB installation and setup? Should I be using a dedicated database?

Also, how do you uninstall WebDB?

Thanks, Ed. Received on Fri Dec 10 1999 - 19:21:45 CET

Original text of this message