Re: Can I mutiltask in a Win98 Client while running SQL queries?

From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_waltdnes.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 21:51:24 -0500

  I'm replying to the reply, and emailing a reply, because I don't see the original post on my newserver... hate when that happens

On Wed, 08 Dec 1999 16:30:46 GMT, Nat Kidder <kidder.nat_at_orbcomm.com> wrote:

>Joseph H Sugden III wrote:
>>

>> I'm set up to use a win98 client to run queries. Whenever I run a
>> query through SQL* or Worksheet, Win98 becomes fairly unworkable--
>> slow--and sometimes stuck, and the task manager says SQL* is not
>> responding until the query finishes.
>>

> You might want to switch to a Windows NT client. NT handles
> multitasking much better than does Windows 9x.

  I find that the console-mode client is much less of a resource hog than the GUI client. Assuming that you're running version 8.X, you'll see PLUS80W.EXE as the name of the executable. There is also a version called PLUS80.EXE, note; no "W" (for "Windows"). This runs in what looks like a DOS box. You can even run it in text mode by hitting ALT-ENTER.
  There is a short stretch of a few seconds when the query starts, that the system slows down. Once that is past, you can minimize it like any console-mode or DOS app. You can *NOT* do this in the middle of a query with the GUI client.   The downsides are

  • you don't have scrollback as per the GUI client
  • you are stuck with the standard console-mode screen sizes, i.e. 80X25, 80X43, and 80X50
--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_waltdnes.org>