Re: WebDB - create form using multitables?

From: Leo Van Nieuwenhuyse <leo.van.nieuwenhuyse_at_pandora.be>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 21:00:05 +0100

Try to join your tables in a view and build your applications on views. Of course you'd think they're not updateable anymore, but have a look at the 'instead of' triggers on views, it makes them updateable the way you like.

Other way is to make a report with hyperlinks and to drill down from report to report or to forms.

example: you can make link on reports
In the sql-clause put your link in the following way:

Select empno,
'<A
HREF=yourscheme.yourpackage.yourprocedure?p_request=yourrequest&p_arg_names= yourparameters&p_arg_values=' || empno ||'>||ename||'</A>' the_link from emp

This will result in something like

7839 Clark

Of course this is an example, you can replace the yourscheme.yourpackage.yourprocedure?p_request=yourrequest&p_arg_names=yourp arameters&p_arg_values=' || empno ||'>||ename||' by other url's such as 'http://www.oracle.com/support'.

Better practice is to put such a things in a package containing functions: What we did is 1 package called 'hyperlink' with several functions (1 per link we want to use).

Afterwards you can use the function in the select clause wich makes the query more readable, and of course you can re-use the function on other places.

example:

Select empno,

          hyperlink.yourfunction(empno,ename) from emp

And you can even make a view out of this select!

Sean Loh <seanloh_at_my-deja.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 82ibe3$nuc$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...