Better Data Modeling Tools for Oracle

From: <billmil_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 22:27:53 GMT

[Quoted] Please bear with me oracle-experts, I'm new to your world.

I have a lot of experience with a text-based data modelling tool called Synon (which runs only with DB2 for IBM's AS/400). In the past year, at another company, I've used Popkin's System Architect for data modeling.

We're switching to Oracle now and considering switching data modeling tools.

Here's my quesion: I miss Synon's ability to define relationships between tables. Example:
Order Header *Known by* Order Number

Order Detail *owned by* Order Header
Order detail *known by* Line number
Order detail *refers to* Product
Order detail *has* quantity

Synon was "merely" text based, but actually very powerful. Changes to the key structure for the order header or product tables, for example, would automatically flow through to the order detail.

System Architect has a visual-ERD tool, but either a) we didn't use it right or b) it didn't provide that ability. I thought the tool was more complex than what we needed.

TOAD looks way-cool (especially for freeware), but it doesn't offer that data modeling ability.

What do y'all recommend?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Nov 20 1999 - 23:27:53 CET

Original text of this message