Re: Forms trigger Unix to send mail

From: Guy van der Werf <gwerf_at_cm-muc.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 17:09:36 +0100

As already noted, Oracle Forms alerts could be used, but have a few limitations.
You have 3 email possibilities that I know of::
1. Oracle 8 provides server-side listener capabilities using a "external procedure" protocol. I have never needed this, so I have no comments to make on it. Presumed difficult. I assume it works from both client- and server-side.
2. Oracle itself provides some C source code as a start to a server-side daemon that will execute any Unix command you give it via the Oracle Pipes mechanism. My own daemon is based on this idea and works well from client and server-side although you may need to extend it to multi-threaded as I did.
3. A client-side only solution exists too. A windows DLL is floating around the News Groups that provides an easy SMTP interface for sending email directly from any client code. I used this on a previous contract and is really easy. Assuming you have email facilities on your PC and you never want to send email from server-side code, then this is your best solution.

Hope it helps
Guy van der Werf

Leona Vo wrote:

Hi,

How can I do the following?

At a trigger, the form signals UNIX to do a mail command notifying the
user the task has been completed.  Can Form talks to UNIX?

Thank you.
Leona