Re: A tough one: Replication Oracle/NT ---> DB2/AS400

From: <mikedean_at_mailbox.bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:50:04 GMT

I had a similar situation, but Oracle was on AIX rather than NT. We used the Oracle Transparent Gateway for DB2 to communicate between AIX and DB2. I believe that the same product exists for Windows NT.

We had insert, update, delete triggers on all of the Oracle tables. Any modifications to a table would generate an entry in a log table containing the SQL statement needed to do the appropriate insert, delete or update. We then had a PL/SQL procedure that would read this log table and execute each statement against DB2 via the Transparent Gateway. If the mainframe was down, an error would be returned to the PL/SQL routine, which would then 'go to sleep' for a while before trying again. Using the gateway is the same as using a database link, except that your link points to DB2, rather than another Oracle Database.

hope this helps,

Mike