XML data archiving: Design patterns?

From: R. Huijbrechts <101505.533_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 13:17:32 +0100

XML data archiving: Design patterns?

Hi,
We are starting a project to archive/extract data from an ERP database. We believe that the XML format is a good choice for this. We are new to the XML world.

Does someone have some design patterns for the layout of the XML files? Some candidates are:
- Make 1 XML structure for each table that is being extracted from the
database.
- Make 1 XML structure that can contain the data of all the tables of a
single extract process.
- Use the Oracle XML SQL interface (unfortunately it requires Java and
Oracle V8i).
- Is it wise to use MXL for this? The xml format creates a lot of overhead
that is not desirable for archiving gigabytes of data.
- Others (with or without XML)...

Please advise how to accomplish this. What are some good books/titles for this?

Note that the archiving module must run on HP-UX, an Oracle V8.0.5.1 database engine and must be written in the C language or Oracle PLSQL language.

Please reply to my email rolf.huijbrechts_at_realsoftware.be as well.

Kind regards,
Rolf Huijbrechts Received on Sun Nov 14 1999 - 13:17:32 CET

Original text of this message