Re: MS Access 97 vs. Developer 6.0

From: Simon Hedges <shedges_at_hhhh.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 11:34:26 -0000

Alex Yevzelman <yevz0001_at_tc.umn.edu> wrote in message news:381DD0D0.67C8085E_at_tc.umn.edu...
> What are your opinions on using MS Access 97 vs. Developer 6.0 to
> develop a front end (forms and reports) for Oracle8i?
> I already have experience with Access, but I have never used Developer
> before.
> How easy is it to learn and use Developer?

If you are already using Oracle 8i to write procedures, packages, functions and triggers, you might like to know that the coding language within Forms is the same language used in the database (PL/SQL). This means that there can be less of a learning curve than is otherwise the case, and that integration is easier. It will also encourage you to place programming within the database, which is definitely a Good Thing!

Developer has become increasingly easy to learn, but is still not as easy to learn as Access.

> Do I have to have Developer Server to run Developer apps.?

No, but if you don't use Developer Server, you will have to install at least some elements of Developer runtime software on every PC which needs to access Oracle.

> If you think that Developer is better than Access, can you please
> suggest any books about Developer (the on-line help there is not the
> best)?

Other replies have given good suggestions.

Simon Hedges
Gloucester
UK Received on Sun Nov 14 1999 - 12:34:26 CET

Original text of this message