Re: points to be noted while creating a database,

From: <lempert_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 09:11:53 GMT

In article <LX_W3.34$R14.1703_at_client>,   "PSINet News Service" <Antony.Amalraj_at_tpg.com> wrote:
> Hi every body,
>
> I am new to oracle 8i. I have to create a database with 200
tables,
> of Object-Model, Not a data-model. for development environement
> I am just wodering what are all the points to be noted while creating
table
> space & table. could you please, summerise some plan with
> what could be the value for below parameters for transaction, temp,&
> master tables & tbspace.
>
> Initial extent, next extent, pctincrease, pctused,
>
> thanks in advance
> tony

Hi
Doing all U've asked for is a lot of time, so I'll write only the highlights.
Tablespace are logical 'get together' of tables with similar functionality, it's an applicative grouping. Example : all the referential codes (small tables of codes) , are usually grouped into ref_codes_tbs. In tablespaces U also use to diffrentiate indexes from data. So, there is the data_tbs and data_indexes_tbs on diffrent disk devices.
Initial, next usually contain the same value, example : initial 10M, next 10M. Usually U keep the same value of segment (10M, exmaple) in the tablesapce in order to use the tablesapce more efficiantly. pctused+pctfree=95, a general role (it's in percent). For tables which rows are usually not enlarged use: used 85, free 10. For tables with streched rows use : user 70, free 10. Streched rows are those with long varchar2 and such. To know all U've asked for take a lot of reading and experiance, so take your time and meanwhile learn from your mistakes. Recomended books : Oracle8 DBA handbook, Oracle8 the complete reference, Oracle database administration.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Nov 14 1999 - 10:11:53 CET

Original text of this message