Re: points to be noted while creating a database,

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 00:13:12 -0500

Hi Lars,

    I disagree with your approach. Unless you are dealing with a single user system all of the extents in a tablespace should be the same size and the extent size should be a multiple of 64KB. Oracle no longer suffers from performance degradation when dealing with tables with large numbers of extents. Please read Cary Milsap's (sp?) paper on the subject. I found it at www.orapub.com

regards
jerry gitomer

Lars Sjöström wrote in message ...
|Initial extent should be as large as you expect the table to be
initially.
|The more extents the more job is needed by the database to
search
|information.
|
|Next extent should be a nice chunk of the initial extent. But if
you know
|your data well, you might be low on this parameter on those
table known not
|to grow so much, or not at all. Other tables could need large
next extents.

|I usually don't think about anything else in these cases.
|
|Lars
|
|Gerd Kock skrev i meddelandet
<382c8cc2.22401345_at_news.btx.dtag.de>...
|>Hi Antony,
|>
|>an Oracle database is no toy, you have learn something about
the
|>concept of Oracle:
|>
|>physical structure:
|>- a tablespace consists of one or more data files
|>
|>logical structure:
|>- data is always in an extent
|>- contigous extents are called a segment
|>- extents reside in an tablespace
|>- space for storing data (rows) in a table is allocated in
extents
|>- at creation time of a tablespace you say what is the default
extent
|>size for data allocated
|>- you can specify initial extent size, next extent size and
optionally
|>the percentage, how the extent size is increased every time an
extent
|>has to be allocated
|>- if you don't specify storage parameters for a table, the
defaults
|>from tablespace are used
|>- if no tablespace for table is specified, the default
tablespace for
|>the user creating the table is used
|>- at creation time of database you have to specify system
tablespace,
|>- later you can (and should) create some tablespaces for data,
|>rollback segments ans os on.
|>
|>there's much more, I don't know where to stop
|>
|>Gerd Kock
|>info_at_no-spam.gerd-kock.de
|>
|>On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 15:40:50 -0500, "PSINet News Service"
|><Antony.Amalraj_at_tpg.com> wrote:
|>
|>>Hi every body,
|>>
|>> I am new to oracle 8i. I have to create a database with
200 tables,
|>>of Object-Model, Not a data-model. for development
environement
|>>I am just wodering what are all the points to be noted while
creating
|table
|>>space & table. could you please, summerise some plan with
|>>what could be the value for below parameters for
transaction, temp,&