Re: online-backup script

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:59:04 -0800

doeringm_at_gmx.de wrote:

> Hello!
>
> We are using Oracle 7 and Oracle 8 at our company on hp-ux 10.20 and
> with Omniback II. Till now we use the Oracle tools EBU and RMAN for
> backup. These tools are very complex and in case of recovery too
> difficult to manage. (Look on Informix databases to see, how easy
> backup and recovery could be!)
>
> It is possible to backup a database by just alter tablespaces in
> backup mode and then save these in a consistent state. Additionally
> you will need all the other needed files on the backup to get back a
> working database.

You datafiles will not be consistent when being backed up in backup mode. Only a cold backup will be consistent, provided you shut your database down normally.

> Is there somewhere a (ksh-)script to backup databases, which will find
> out all the needed information automatically? I have such script, but
> it is not developed as far, that we can backup our database with it.

RMAN will do just that, if you take some time to learn it. You can store your scripts into the RMAN repository.

--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle

Work:                                Home:
Inter Access V&L                     Hunzestraat 4
Palatijn 3, 7521 PN Enschede         7555 WB Hengelo
PoBox 545, 7500 AM Enschede          (31)074-2425046
053-4341500