Re: Can WebDb be installed on a remote PC?

From: Leo Van Nieuwenhuyse <leo.van.nieuwenhuyse_at_pandora.be>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 21:27:27 +0100

Try to add the name of the instance (TNSNAME) in the registry under the key \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORACLE , add the entry LOCAL whit in its value the name of your instance. (At least if you're using NT). If you're using unix: after your prompt type LOCAL=instancename;export LOCAL

This forces any Oracle login to log in on that instance if no instance was specified.
(You can test this out using sql-plus by entering SYS syspws but no host string).

I managed to run it on a remote database (first the database was on NT, later i migrated it on Sun Solaris) just by exporting the database on NT and inporting it on Solaris. I must admit, I had to give some grants manually and to recompile some stored procedures. But now it works fine. My lightweight listener is still on NT, the database on Sun, I can even access the 2 databases through 1 webdblistener.

Even better is to put the tables on another tier, I also did it and it also works fine: make a remote database connection and create some views on the remote tier. So in my case I work in 4-tier:

Database tier : instance1 on solaris
Stored procedures tier: instance2 on solaris Webserver tier: webdblistener on NT
Client tier: any browser

<seanloh_at_my-deja.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 80db21$ugd$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...