problem using database links in Forms 5.0.6.16.0

From: Dominique PARDON <dominique.pardon_at_village.uunet.be>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 01:52:06 +0100

Remotely stored package problem in Forms 5.0: behaves differently than in Forms 4.5.

I have a form using a package that is stored in a remote DB. Both DBs are 8.1.5.0.0. The form accesses the remote function via a synonym that points to the remote package via a DB link.

The synonym and the DBlink are correctly defined, everything works fine  in forms 4.5 and SQLPLUS.

In forms 5.0, everytime the function in the remotely stored package  is executed I get thrown out off the form, it just stops running, no way of trapping the error via an exception!!

When I execute the same thing in Procedure Builder 2.0 he gives me an internal error.

At Oracle tech support they told us that DB links aren't supported under Forms (not in 5.0 AND not in 4.5). All use of DB links should be done inside stored programs.

Does anyone knows of a solution ather than storing all uses of DBlinks in the DB?

I have a similar problem using DBlinks for tables in F5.0. DBs are both 7.2.3.

Connected to DB_A:
select count(1) from tab1_at_DB_B
doesnt compile: internal error ....

Connected to DB_B:
select count(1) from tab1_at_DB_A
Compiles without problem.

Connected to DBB:
select count(1) from tab1_at_DBB
Compiles without problem, when I run this connected to DBA, it runs without problems.

--

Dominique PARDON
dominique.pardon_at_village.uunet.be