Re: Kernel Paremeters Tuning

From: jawa <Jim.Wadas_at_motorola.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:31:09 -0700

The article below discusses how to tune Oracle parameters for performance, but your request is regarding kernel parameters, right? You'll need to research the system-level parameters relative to the shared memory segment and system semaphores. The size of the shared memory segment dictates how large you can make the SGA (db_block_buffers and shared_pool_size comprise the bulk of the SGA). The total number of semaphores you define dictate how many Oracle processes can be specified by the init.ora parameter: processes. You'll want to monitor your buffer cache and other hit ratios and tune as needed. Would recommend picking up a copy of Oracle Performance Tuning, 2nd Edition, O'Reilly. Hope this helps.

--
Jim Wadas
Information Technology Solutions and Services (ITSS)