Re: Snapshots, foreign keys, replication HELP! :)

From: Paul Konstant <paul_h_konstant_at_sbphrd.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 13:34:23 -0500

Andrey,

We have a database with a number of snapshots handling data replication issues across multiple sites. I recently had to do just the opposite, drop the snapshots and create local copies of a few of them.

The logic I followed was:
Create table TABLE2 (extracted .ddl from master table using SQL Nav) Insert into TABLE2 (select * from TABLE1) drop snapshot TABLE1
rename TABLE2 TABLE1

I had no problems with relationships or keys. I think you should be fine.

Regards,
Paul

NetComrade wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> We have a DEV database and PROD databases. The PROD database is
> updated daily, and we would like certain tables to be copied to our
> DEV servers. I figured snapshot is a good thing to do, especially b/c
> the tables aren't so big. But ehre is the problem...
>
> The snapshot has to have the same name as the existing table, which
> means I have to drop the existing table, and create the snapshot with
> that name. Another problem is that that table has foreign keys on it,
> and I don't know how a snapshot will behave with them...
>
> Thanx for any help.
> Andrey Dmitriev eFax: (978) 383-5892 Daytime: (917) 373-5417
[Quoted] > AOL: NetComrade ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email