Re: too many declarations of '-'match this call?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 17:31:28 +0800

qenr_at_vara.nl wrote:

> TIA
>
> I am a member of technet, but i couldn't find the error codes but i
> searched on too many declarations.
>
> my fields are dates. but i changed the query and now it works.
>
> now its to_char(hiredate - firedate), 'sssss')
>
> But your help has been well appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kasper
>
> On Tue, 9 Nov 1999 12:56:25 -0000, "Wim Valgaeren"
> <valgaeren_at_softhome.net> wrote:
>
> >I once got the too many declarations error when I tried to do a to_char on a
> >char. Maybe you can check that hiredate and firedate
> >are dates and not chars.
> >For information on error codes you can go to http://technet.oracle.com
> >There you can find any error code with description, cause and action. Just
> >search on the error code ie: pls-00307
> >
> >Regards,
> >Wim Valgaeren
> >
> ><qenr_at_vara.nl> wrote in message news:38280098.11597989_at_news.omroep.nl...
> >> Thanks for the help below.
> >>
> >> The error message i get is when i try to subtract two datetimes from
> >> each other.
> >>
> >> i.e. select to_char(hiredate, 'sssss') - to_char(firedate, 'sssss')
> >> which works fine in sql but in forms i get this mismatch call.
> >> hope this helps because the plsql editor does not give any error types
> >> or codes except 307 and 386 but I cannot find these error messages in
> >> any manual.
> >>
> >> TIA for any help.

> >was
> >incorrectly

> >datatype,

PL/SQL is written in PL/SQL (sort of a chicken and egg thing)...

Thus, things like "+" are actually functions...So the "+" function will support things like:

two numbers eg 3 + 4
date & number eg sysdate + 10

but when you try two characters (as your example), then PL/SQL says that you have correctly found the "+" function, but not the correct data types...so it can't the exact version of "+" to run, thus

"too many declarartions.... " etc

HTH

Connor McDonald
"These views mine, no-one elses etc etc"
connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."