Re: Unable to connect to Oracle 8

From: <davbuell_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 00:43:52 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] Thanks for the information! I have almost the identical problem:

  1. New install of 8i on NT server
  2. New install of 8i on NT clients
  3. I can connect on the server specifying the service name (_at_DEV), or not specifying the service (I presume that not referencing the service, while on the server, will connect you to the instance on the same machine, with the SID identical to some environment variable).
  4. Copied the tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora from the server to a client machine.
  5. From the client, I can ping the server.
  6. From the client, I can tnsping the server! Doesn't this mean that the server's listener can hear me?????

    But -

    I can't connect from the client to the server, using SQLPLUS or     server manager... (ora-12545). The trace file shows secondary     error code: 12560, nt main errcode: 515, TNS-00515, nt secondary     error code: 1001, nt OS err code: 0.

    We've tried various configurations of the client software, on the     client - all 8i products, but different combinations of options     in the install. We've tried various options on the client side,     with the NET8 assistant. We've tried mucking about with the     OS authentication stuff, on the server side. We're most in the dark [Quoted]     with the NT environment server-side stuff, as I'm coming from an     HP-Unix background (although my colleague has a strong NT     background).

    This kind of stuff is annoying, as it seems that oftentimes the [Quoted]     solution is not in the documentation, or relates to a bug, etc...

    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Thanks,

    Dave Buell
    davbuell_at_yahoo.com

In article <7v7031$u03$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   rock_cogar_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Good point! On the services panel on the server's control panel
(assume
> it is NT) make sure that the Oracle listener (i.e. "OracleListener?")
> and database service (i.e. "oracleserviceorcl?") is running. If not
> restart them.
>
> Next, test SQL*Net (Net8) on the server itself. Adjust / repair /
> configure as needed. Next, repeat on you colleague's desktop. Now try
> testing on you desktop. If that does not work and your config file (or
> all of them, if multiple installs) TNSNAMES.ORA is really the same
then
> make sure your Oracle Client software is also the same.
>
> Usually, I find errors (out of date values) in TNSNAMES.ORA files
cause
> the most connection failures at the Net8 level.
>
> Rock Cogar.
> Radian International LLC.
>
> In article <7v51ji$6ai$1_at_plo.sierra.com>,
> "Steve McDaniels" <steve.mcdaniels_at_sierra.com> wrote:
> > Is the LISTENER running?
> >
> > (check NT services, set it to auto on startup)
> >
> > Matthew Jones <m.jones_at_misd.lon.ac.uk> wrote in message [Quoted]
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I wonder if someone can help me please with a problem with Oracle
8
> on
> > > Windows NT. When I do a connection test in Net8 Assistant it gives
> the
> > > error:-
> > >
> > > ----------------------- [Quoted]
> > > Connecting....
> > >
> > > The test did not succeed.
> > > ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not
> exist
> > >
> > > There may be an error in the fields entered
> > > or the server may not be ready for a connection.
> > > You can check the server and retry, or continue.
> > > -------------------------
> > >
> > > All my connection details are identical to my colleague's who can
> > > connect no problem. My 'Hosts' file is identical to his too. The
DBA
> > > doesn't know why I can't connect either. Is there something on the
> > > server machine I need to check (I have access)?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Matthew
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 09 1999 - 01:43:52 CET

Original text of this message