Re: How to disable transactions

From: OraSaurus <granaman_at_not_home.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 03:34:08 GMT

In article <7vu4rj$an6$1_at_sunsite.icm.edu.pl>, "Iks" <gold_at_polbox.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am working with Oracle 8.0.5 (Solaris). My database is cyclically
>removed and loaded again from other system, just for analysis only,
>and I don't need sophisticated techniques like transaction processing
>because most important issue for me is the performance.
>Very ofthen I have to do : create table ... as select ..... then I have to
>update
>some fields. I would like to disable transaction processing, but I don't
>know
>how to do it.
>Is there anybody who can help me ?
>

>Regards,
>Iks

I'm not certain what you mean by "disable transaction processing".

There have already been a few good tips on disabling logging, but in the unlikely case that you actually mean to prevent updates, deletes, and inserts to the source table while performing the copy try:

        SQL> lock tableTABLENAME in exclusive mode;

in one session and copying the data in another session.

The exclusive table lock will allow select, but not update, insert, or delete. After making the copy, go back to the session where the table is locked and issue a commit.

  • OraSaurus --
  • Remove "not_" to reply... -- NOTICE TO BULK EMAILERS: Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US. E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.