Re: ORA-12545 TNS: Name lookup error

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 09:50:50 -0800

Scott Cummins wrote:

> I have a windows 95 machine where my customer cannot log on, it acts as if
> it goes out to the database but returns this error, He can go to another
> machin and long on fime, I have reinstalled all the 95 protocols and
> network crd. also the client for microsft windows. can any one help me, I
> have gotten some information on TNSnames.ora and listener.ora, but I am
> not sure where to go form here.
>
> --

Well, have you tried tnsping yet? Assuming you can ping the server, and therefore your network is OK. Another thing you might want to copy over from a PC that works OK, is sqlnet.ora.
Also check (on that PC that works) if in the registry, tnsadmin is set. If so, copy that setting as well to the machine that won't connect.

sqlnet.ora holds general settings like a default domain, that is appended to the alias. So even when the alias is OK, the total name submitted to the network may not.

tnsadmin is a general setting to indicate where the config file are located. Especially in a mixed net 2.3 and net 8 environment, this may ease administration.

Hth

--
[Quoted] Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle

Work:                                Home:
Inter Access V&L                     Hunzestraat 4
Palatijn 3, 7521 PN Enschede         7555 WB Hengelo
PoBox 545, 7500 AM Enschede          (31)074-2425046
053-4341500