using a double quote character inside a text field as an initial value...

From: Steve B <steve.bright_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:29:25 -0000

[Quoted] [Quoted] Hope you can help...we're currently generating dynamic web pages using [Quoted] Oracle Application Server....

Most of the pages require the use of forms to capture user information, and [Quoted] a lot of these forms are populated with database information so it can be [Quoted] updated etc......

we define things such as text fields as

<input type="text" name="text_field" value=" '||
<some_value_from_the_database> ||' ">

where '|| ||' are the Oracle concatenation marks for those HTMLers amongst you.....

[Quoted] [Quoted] Now the problem we have is when the database value to set the initial text [Quoted] value contains the double quote character "......If it does then only the [Quoted] string up to that point is displayed.....

Obviously we cant use the single quote ' to suround the value because the [Quoted] same would apply if the string contained that character....

I've written a procedure in Oracle that mimics the javascript escape() function so I thought of storing each value in a javascript parameter  escaped ), and then when the form has loaded populate the form values using javascript.

[Quoted] Is there any other way around this cos it will take ages to re-write...except to bar the entry of double quotes at any point within the [Quoted] site..bearing in mind that this is pointless because data can get into the [Quoted] database from areas other than the browser front end ???

Cheers for any help..

Steve Bright

steve.bright_at_capgemini.co.uk Received on Tue Nov 02 1999 - 11:29:25 CET

Original text of this message