Re: Personal Oracle 8 and Developer on same PC - Connection Problem

From: <pberetta_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 11:11:13 GMT

You're absolutley right Simon, its amazing how difficult it is to get the various Oracle products to work with one another. I've had similar experiences (both the product/version compatibility issues and the "did so many thing I don't know what solved the problem" situation) with Win95 and NT4 installations, so I can attest that the problem is not confined to Win98.

In article <7vic33$svn$1_at_news7.svr.pol.co.uk>,   "Simon Hedges" <shedges_at_hhhh.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for the various responses to this. The prob is now fixed
> thanks to 2 hours on the phone with Oracle Support. We tried so
> many thing, that it's hard to know what fixed it. However:
>
> 1. I completely wiped out everything Oracle from the PC and
> reinstalled only P08 to start with. The system was previously
> being confused by having 2 Oracle homes.
>
> 2. I installed P08 as the 'base' W98 user, rather than my
> own login.
>
> 3. I removed:
> > sqlnet.authentication_services = (NONE)
>
> from the configuration file, and added a new alias
> to TNSNAMES.ORA to point to the ORCL SID.
>
> 4. When this was working with P08, I re-installed
> Developer/Designer and copied across the
> TNSNAMES.ORA file to the relevant
> NET80 directory.
>
> 5. I ran the listener, and got a service for the ORCL
> database.
>
> 6. I logged on.
>
> Thanks for the advice. It still seems might strange
> to me that P08 doesn't just work from scratch as
> soon as it's installed. After all W98 running on
> Intel is pretty standard kit.
>
> Thanks again for the help.
>
> Simon Hedges
> Gloucester
> UK

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Nov 01 1999 - 12:11:13 CET

Original text of this message