Re: Automatically fill in the rest of a textitem in forms?

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 31 Oct 1999 04:55:57 GMT

>Is it possible in forms 5.0 to automatically fill out the rest of a textitem
>when I start typing a few characters? Just like in Access.
>
>If it is possible, can anybody tell me how?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Wim Valgaeren

Yes you can, but its not pretty. The way I prefer is using an LOV with validatation set. However, that only works when they leave the field.

If you must do it while they are typing, you have to do the following (I did this a few years back, so I am going on old dusty memories...)... actually, I don't know if it iwas Oracle that I did this on..

When you enter the item (when-new-item-instance), start a timer with a 1/2 or 1 second interval. After each expiration of the timer, check the value of the field. If it changed, do a query to get a value from the database based on what they have entered so far, appending a % to it. Reset your timer, and the 'last value'. Repeat until the when-validate-item fires, in which case you stop the timer.

Kindda ugly, and it requires a lot of queries...maybe you can do the same thing faster through Forms record groups that are preloaded.

Dan Hekimian-Williams Received on Sun Oct 31 1999 - 05:55:57 CET

Original text of this message