Re: Forms 4.5 vs. Forms 6.0

From: Simon Hedges <shedges_at_hhhh.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 15:21:56 +0100

Jesse wrote:

> I am currently using Forms 4.5
>
> What features does 6.0 add and do you recommend the upgrade. If so
> what would be some selling points for my boss.

1 - Forms 6 is two major releases later than 4.5. Forms 5 was released in late 97 early 98 (I think - it may have been earlier), and Oracle are not going to continue to support it forever. So the question is not 'whether' you upgrade, but 'when'.

2 - If you are planning to move to a Web Environment, then Forms 6 (at last) works reasonably in a Web environment. Forms 4.5 is still bound to client server environments.

3 - Forms 5/6 have DEVELOPER PRODUCTIVITY benefits. These include:

  1. The creation of declarative calculated fields is one.
  2. Colour coded PL/SQL Editor
  3. Built-in Tree functionality
  4. Programmatic handling of prompts. Much better support for classes and inheritance (via the Object Library method).
  5. Support for PL/SQL Versions 2 and 8.
  6. Support for Oracle 8 Objects
  7. Native Bubble-Help
  8. Introduction of Menu Smart Bars
  9. Depending on the Version of Forms 4.5 you have, it may not be 100% Y2K compliant.

I hope this helps. No doubt others can remember other enhancements.

Simon Hedges
Gloucester
UK Received on Sat Oct 30 1999 - 16:21:56 CEST

Original text of this message